Wednesday 25 April 2012

Well, that's awkward.


Who adores food, adores tea, loves baking
Doesn't have the patience for low-fat foods
Loves french cuisine
Believes butter is always better
Adds black pepper to everything
Has a wardrobe filled entirely with dresses
Has crammed, overflowing bookshelves
Speaks french
And would totally elope with her greengrocer?

Yeah, I thought that was me too. If it is, I'm secretly a woman called Rachel Khoo. She's been living in Paris for the past 6 years, cooking up recipes and delicious food straight from her miniscule kitchen, in which she owns a few beloved chipped enamel bowls and only a couple of pots and pans.

Convinced yet?

She also cooks without (apparently) ever getting a single stain or blot on her pristine clothing... so yeah, evidently not me. But even I was fooled for a minute. The TV programme is almost too twee for words, but is rescued by food that actually tastes good when you make it, a cook who isn't some scripted automaton, and (of course), the fact that her name is Rachel. I'm eyeing up her recipe book for my birthday.

Grapefruit and black pepper meringue tartlets? Don't mind if I do.

Buttery biscuit pastry base, with a sweet-but-not-sickly tangy grapefruit curd that nestles into the hollowed centre. Add a fluffy, cloud like meringue. The pepper adds a lovely subtle heat which just perfectly settles on the tongue.

Who could say no to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment